This page is a collection of links in the spirit of the world wide web. Some are to projects or friends of mine. Some are to cool and impressive stuff or people. Some are to useful or funny things. Happy surfing!
Interesting things I am or was involved in.
Amazing people I know. You are still amazing even if you are not on this list.
- Gwyneth Herbert - Beautiful singer and songwriter, really nice girl. Has albums released on Blue Note and Universal.
- Pixel Mechanics - One of the sound design MSc students when I was at Edinburgh. Laptop musician and web designer.
- tinpark.com - Martin Parker one of my former lecturers and an amazing digital artist. Source of great inspiration for me.
- Michael Edwards - A former lecturer and tutor of mine and composer of modern classical music. His performances are some of the best I've ever seen.
- Brahea Gardens - Website of French sound and installation artist Didier Tallec. Acquaintance and nice fellow.
- Belly Lorna - The blog of Lorna Gow, a belly dancer. I played the darbuka drum for her classes with the Edinburgh University African and Arabic Dance Society.
- Mars Walkers - Acquaintance, karl-otto von oertzen, is one member of this very interesting art duo
- Cathaly Hautefort - Parisienne jazz singer with whom I worked in the summer of 2008
People I wish I knew. Plus cool stuff made by people.
- Banksy - Successful politically minded graffiti artist gone semi-overground.
- The Forest Cafe - arts space, volunteer run, self funding, not-for-profit, provides always-free access. I miss you guys so much.
- John Cage - Performing "Water Walk" In January 1960 on the popular American TV show "I've Got a Secret".
- Photosynth demo - Amazing new tech that automatically finds photos (such as pictures of notre dame from flickr) of the same thing and maps them together into a explorable kinda universe... go check the video
Scott de Martinville - Parisian typesetter and tinkerer who made the oldest known sound recording in the mid 1800s, at least 20 years before Edison. It was never destined to be reproduced however, his goal was in fact to visualise and read sound. Researchers have recently been able to extracted a haunting female voice singing au Claire de la Lune.
These are links to resources such as reference guides, tutorials, sample sites and such like that I have found useful for the particular sorts of things that I do.
- InfrarEd - A resource for finding all sorts of creative commons licensed digital media created by students at the University of Edinburgh.
- Kid3 - GPL (open source) id3 editor OSX, Linux and Windows.
- XLD - GPL (open source) software for OSX that I use to rip CDs into mp3 using the LAME encoder. Can access CD track names for various services, has lots of options for automatic naming and id3 tagging of the files, and much much more.
- DupeGuru - GPL sortware for OSX for finding duplicate files on your computer with many useful options, including search for files above a threshold file size.
- The Freesound Project - A collaborative database of Creative Commons licensed sounds.
MSP forum - An excellent place to find discussion and help with Max MSP.
on Acid - The Grid - Drum and Bass production and dance music discussion forum.
- HTML Dog - This site has a bunch of progrssive html tutorials which I found to be simple, web standards based, and presented intelligently and in good humour.
- Find sounds - Search the internet for sounds!
- aka.objects - Some very useful Max MSP objects, including speech synthesis and recognition, wii remote communication, ambient light and tilt sensors... you name it.
du Conservatoire de rouen - I can't find this using Google so this is more for me than anyone else! With a bit of luck this will help Google pick it up.
codes for special characters - Like "e acute" and so on.
These are websites that I like to go to to waste a bit of time. Some are educational, some are just funny, some are cool and arty. Enjoy.
- Slashdot - News and discussion site for nerds. Tends to be pro linux, pro IP reform etc with some very intelligent discussion.
- Home Star Runner - You can't get much awesomer than a good old Strongbad flash cartoon!
- The Wonderful World of Larry Carlson - Mulitmedia flash art. Surreal, beautiful and frequently updated.
the magical iPhone - This made me laugh
- Cursor*10 - An amazing flash game by Nekogames where you have to cooperate with yourself! Minimalist and clever.
- This is my Jam - Choose a few songs and the website constructs a little mini mix, beatmatching and crossfading short extracts of each song automatically. You can then put their little flashplayer on your site etc.
- indymedia.org - The Independant Media Center is a collective of independent media organizations and hundreds of journalists offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage.
The name Peter Reid is very common as google will tell you. While trying to find myself online I came across various Reid related sites and pages.
- A famous footballer - Peter Reid, who later managed Manchester City and Sunderland.
- A domain name squatter - (or at some point in the future, a Peter Reid with £5000 (+VAT) to buy his own eponymous .co.uk domain name.)
- Family Reid page - for a small branch of the Reid family.
Reid - Forfar's Grand Old Man (1803-1897). Confectioner who made his fortune on his special recipe Forfar Rock.